- The basic unit of a grass flower, consisting of two glumes or outer bracts at the base and one or more florets above.More example sentences
- The female flowers can be distinguished by long, silky hairs at the bases of the flower spikelets.
- At the base of each spikelet, there is a pair of sterile glumes that surrounds a series of flowers (five to eight in number).
- Similar results were presented in experiments where the sterilization of florets led to more grain setting and greater grain growth in the untreated spikelets.
More definitions of spikeletDefinition of spikelet in:
- The British & World English dictionary