Definition of spinach in English:
A widely cultivated edible Asian plant of the goosefoot family, with large, dark green leaves that are eaten raw or cooked as a vegetable.
- Spinacia oleracea, family Chenopodiaceae
- The spinach has gone bright green and almost melted into the hot sauce.
- Add the spinach leaves, simmer for 5 min, scatter with coriander and serve with rice.
- Blend spinach and ricotta or cottage cheese in a blender or work together through a sieve.
- Example sentences
- Scallops came with a tiny pulp of Good King Henry (a spinachy local herb) and also ginger and green-tea foam.
- This is a nice version: more spinachy and less viscous than most, with a pungent kick of Parmesan and lots of thin tortilla chips for dipping.
- The cream of spinach soup was sleek, subtle and full of spinachy goodness.
Definition of spinach in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia