1A hard glassy mineral occurring as octahedral crystals of variable color and consisting chiefly of magnesium and aluminum oxides.
- Legendary for its blood-red rubies and spinels, the Mogok stone tract of northern Myanmar also produces an amazing array of other minerals.
- Rubies were found in Burma and Ceylon, topaz, beryl, garnet, amethyst and pearl in Ceylon and Southern India, and spinels and deep blue sapphires in Afghanistan and Kashmir.
- His collection includes emeralds and spinels of a staggering size (some of them are nearly 300 carats).
1.1 Chemistry Any of a class of oxides including this, containing aluminum and another metal and having the general formula MAl2O4.
- Examples of coexisting spinels in chemical equilibrium are uncommon at Hutter.
- UCLA's Kyte, who himself favored a fireball origin for the spinels, has measured the chemical composition of hundreds of spinel samples from around the world.
- At both Bald Knob and Hutter, rhodonite is absent in samples containing manganese spinels or manganese humites.
Early 16th century: from French spinelle, from Italian spinella, diminutive of spina 'thorn'.
Words that rhyme with spinelAdele, Aix-la-Chapelle, aquarelle, artel, au naturel, bagatelle, béchamel, befell, bell, belle, boatel, Brunel, Cadell, carousel, cartel, cell, Chanel, chanterelle, clientele, Clonmel, compel, Cornell, crime passionnel, dell, demoiselle, dispel, dwell, el, ell, Estelle, excel, expel, farewell, fell, Fidel, fontanelle, foretell, Gabrielle, gazelle, gel, Giselle, hell, hotel, impel, knell, lapel, mademoiselle, maître d'hôtel, Manuel, marcel, matériel, mesdemoiselles, Michel, Michelle, Miguel, misspell, morel, moschatel, Moselle, motel, muscatel, nacelle, Nell, Nobel, Noel, organelle, outsell, Parnell, pell-mell, personnel, propel, quell, quenelle, rappel, Raquel, Ravel, rebel, repel, Rochelle, Sahel, sardelle, sell, shell, show-and-tell, smell, Snell, spell, swell, tell, undersell, vielle, villanelle, well, yell
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of spinel in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.