- An instrument that shows the incidence of alpha particles by flashes on a fluorescent screen.More example sentences
- In 1903 he invented the spinthariscope to detect alpha particles emitted by radioactive elements.
- So I happen to have several spinthariscopes of various vintages, of which this item is a poor imitation.
- Leo and his friends also took the spinthariscope to an out-of-town astronomers convention and advertised that they had developed an optical system that could penetrate clouds.
early 20th century: formed irregularly from Greek spintharis 'spark' + -scope.
More definitions of spinthariscopeDefinition of spinthariscope in:
- The British & World English dictionary