Definition of spiny lobster in English:
A large edible crustacean with a spiny shell and long heavy antennae, but lacking the large claws of true lobsters.
- Family Palinuridae: several genera and species, in particular Palinuris vulgaris of European waters, and the California spiny lobster (Panulirus interruptus)
- Without claws, spiny lobsters use their antennae to fend off predators.
- The Norway lobster is a true lobster; but the spiny lobster, which exists in various species in tropical and subtropical waters around the world, is not.
- The house specialties are in shellfish: Maine lobster, spiny lobster, dungeness crab, and live Santa Barbara sea urchin.
Definition of spiny lobster in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan