- A shrub of the rose family, with clusters of small white or pink flowers. Found throughout the northern hemisphere, it is widely cultivated as a garden ornamental.
More example sentences
- Genus Spiraea, family Rosaceae
- This is cheap and easy to do with specimens such as berberis, buddleia, cornus, kerria, philadelphus, spirea and willow.
- Old shrubs, such as spiraea, forsythia, lilac, and honeysuckle, often become overgrown and full of crowded stems and dead wood.
- Another favorite shrub, a spirea called ‘Bridal Wreath’ or ‘Shoe Button’ plant, has a completely different appeal, providing varied styles of attractiveness throughout most of the year.
modern Latin, from Greek speiraia, from speira 'a coil'.
More definitions of spireaDefinition of spirea in:
- The British & World English dictionary