A flexible spirally twisted bacterium, especially one that causes syphilis.
- Treponema and other genera, order Spirochaetales; Gram-negative
More example sentences
- Visit the Microbe Zoo for pictures and information about spirochetes and other bacteria which live in the cow rumen.
- In its primary and secondary stages, syphilis induces raw, oozing genital sores in which the syphilis spirochetes multiply, eager to hitch a ride on the next sex partner.
- The gut sections revealed not only bits of wood but also numerous protists and bacteria, including large spirochetes.
late 19th century: from spiro-1 'in a spiral' + Greek khaitē 'long hair'.
Definition of spirochete in:
- The British & World English dictionary