Definition of spirulina in English:
1Filamentous cyanobacteria that form tangled masses in warm alkaline lakes in Africa and Central and South America.
- Genus Spirulina, division Cyanobacteria
- The nine basic ingredients that Lasseur plans to grow on other planets are: rice, onions, tomatoes, soya, potatoes, lettuce, spinach, wheat and spirulina - all common ingredients except the last.
- Wading in the lake shallows, they stir up organic matter with their bills, including mollusks and crustaceans and the bird's favorite meal, spirulina, a type of nontoxic blue-green algae.
- You probably realize that spirulina has been used by NASA for their astronauts and is currently being grown in at least 40 countries.
1.1 (usually Spirulina) Spirulina dried and prepared as a food or food additive, which is a rich source of many vitamins and minerals.
- In the US, the popularity of Spirulina is primarily as a ‘health food’, being sold in stores as a dried powder or in tablet form.
- Researchers say spirulina may ward off cancer and protect your brain from age-related mental decline.
- Dunaliella, spirulina, wild blue green algae, wheat and barley grass, chorella, carrot, sweet potato, kale, parsley, and spinach are excellent sources of Vitamin A, listed in order of highest content.
Modern Latin, from spirula 'small spiral (shell)'.
Definition of spirulina in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.