Definition of spleenwort in English:
A small fern that grows in rosettes on rocks and walls, typically with rounded or triangular lobes on a slender stem and formerly used as a remedy for disorders of the spleen.
- Genus Asplenium, family Aspleniaceae
- Species of the eastern deciduous forest are northern maidenhair, maidenhair spleenwort, and oak fern.
- Enclosing the garden will be a traditional dry stone wall planted with native Irish plants - yarrow, thrift, heart's tongue fern and maiden hair spleenwort.
- Others are maidenhair spleenwort, two kinds of polypody, and walking fern.
Definition of spleenwort in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.