- Used to emphasize the isolation of a person or thing: the stone stands in splendid isolation near the moorland road[ 1896: first applied to the period from 1890 to 1907 when Britain pursued a policy of diplomatic and commercial noninvolvement]More example sentences
- We are here as a senior club in an area of splendid isolation in a sense.
- We preferred to decline in splendid isolation rather than prosper in a mundane community of Continentals under the Treaty of Rome which set up the European Economic Community.
- ‘It stands in splendid isolation,’ the tome says of an accomplishment deemed ‘the greatest single achievement in the long Rangers story’.
More definitions of splendid isolationDefinition of splendid isolation in:
- The British & World English dictionary