Definition of splenetic in English:
1Bad-tempered; spiteful: a splenetic outburst
More example sentences
- We are further told that Finkelstein's book ‘reads like a rant, with splenetic attacks on individuals, many of them survivors, and vast generalisations about the whole of world Jewry.’
- It's anyone's guess, then, why he leaves his instruments dormant for much of this show in favour of splenetic rants and ruthless aggression towards his increasingly miserable audience.
- Yet Tyerman's frustration can sometimes lead to splenetic rants.
bad-tempered, ill-tempered, angry, cross, peevish, petulant, pettish, irritable, irascible, choleric, dyspeptic, testy, tetchy, snappish, waspish, crotchety, crabby, querulous, resentful, rancorous, bilious;
- sense 1.Example sentences
- Some of the more splenetically strident are positively screaming for someone to tell them on DPF's comments board, the identity of our next attacker.
- He's no fan of children, never bothering to moderate his splenetically obscene manner of speaking when they're around.
- In the scene of Jo's death, for example, it is Esther who recites the Lord's Prayer and John Jarndyce who splenetically explodes with the third-person narrator's rage.
Words that rhyme with spleneticaesthetic (US esthetic), alphabetic, anaesthetic (US anesthetic), antithetic, apathetic, apologetic, arithmetic, ascetic, athletic, balletic, bathetic, cosmetic, cybernetic, diabetic, dietetic, diuretic, electromagnetic, emetic, energetic, exegetic, frenetic, genetic, Helvetic, hermetic, homiletic, kinetic, magnetic, metic, mimetic, parenthetic, pathetic, peripatetic, phonetic, photosynthetic, poetic, prophetic, prothetic, psychokinetic, sympathetic, syncretic, syndetic, synthetic, telekinetic, theoretic, zetetic
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia