Definition of splenium in English:
The thick posterior part of the corpus callosum of the brain.
- Above the splenium of the corpus callosum, the cingulate sulcus turns abruptly upwards to reach the superior margin of the hemisphere.
- Beneath the splenium of the corpus callosum, the dentate gyrus becomes flattened and smooth and continues on to the dorsal surface of the corpus callosum as the thin gyrus fasciolaris.
- The great cerebral vein can be seen curving below the splenium of the corpus callosum to empty into the straight sinus.
Mid 19th century: from Latin.
- Example sentences
- A mesial parasymphysial foramen is present and is bordered by the parasymphysial plate, anterior coronoid, and the mesial lamina of the splenial, identical to the configuration seen in Ventastega.
- Posteriorly, the mesial lamina of the splenial is firmly sutured onto the anterior end of the prearticular.
- Similarly, we suggest that the medial foramen is represented by a large foramen in the splenial, just ventral to its contact with the adsymphysial.
Definition of splenium in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan