Definition of spline in English:
1A rectangular key fitting into grooves in the hub and shaft of a wheel, especially one formed integrally with the shaft that allows movement of the wheel on the shaft.
- UAW Local 2101 represents 17 workers at Wedin, where they manufacture ball screws, nuts, gears, shafts, splines and motion-control systems.
- Engineered to maintain original GM dimensions and process parameters, these axles are induction hardened and feature a 100-percent machined shaft and precision nobbed splines.
- Using the concave roller to carefully roll the spline into the groove over the screen.
- If you are using Fiberglas screening, simultaneously roll the screen and spline into the channel in this step.
- Cut a 7 ‘piece of spline and glue it into the grooved short end of the opening.’
- A biscuit - a small wooden spline that looks like a flattened football - is glued and inserted into the slots as the boards are pressed together.
2.1A flexible wood or rubber strip used especially in drawing large curves.
- Therefore, there is more flexibility in the fitted splines than is strictly necessary to model the data.
- The great power of ISIS-Drive's open standard is also its weakness - the tapered spline requires great care to produce and the ISIS standard leaves manufacturing open to interpretation in some respects.
3 (also spline curve) Mathematics A continuous curve constructed so as to pass through a given set of points and have a certain number of continuous derivatives.
- The data was therefore fit nonparametrically to a smooth curve using the Dierckx algorithm for cubic spline curve fitting.
- Did you know that the most pleasing shape to man is the spline curve?
- Garrett was quick to recommend the use of cubic splines for the representation of smooth curves.
verb[with object] Back to top
1.1 (usually as adjective splined) Fit with a spline: splined freewheels
More example sentences
- That combination creates a lighter, stiffer crankset than older square-taper spindles and uses Shimano's widely available ES - 70 splined bottom bracket.
- The splined interface accepts the rotor much like freehub accepts the cassette - just slide the rotor on and cinch-down using a single lock-ring.
- I want to replace my BB / Crank with a splined version, but the spindle is offered in 113 mm.
mid 18th century (originally East Anglian dialect): perhaps related to splinter.
Words that rhyme with splinealign, assign, benign, brine, chine, cline, combine, condign, confine, consign, dine, divine, dyne, enshrine, entwine, fine, frontline, hardline, interline, intertwine, kine, Klein, line, Main, malign, mine, moline, nine, on-line, opine, outshine, pine, Rhein, Rhine, shine, shrine, sign, sine, spine, stein, Strine, swine, syne, thine, tine, trine, twine, Tyne, underline, undermine, vine, whine, wine
Definition of spline in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan