- The horny or fibrous substance found in the skeleton of many sponges.More example sentences
- Demospongea are the dominant modern group with 600 genera; they have a skeleton formed of spongin or silica, or a mixture of the two.
- Some spicules are formed of the mineralized substances calcium carbonate and silica, while others are made of an organic substance called spongin.
- First of all, however, spongin is not a feature consistent of all Porifera, but may be a constituent character of the Demospongiae only.
More definitions of sponginDefinition of spongin in:
- The British & World English dictionary