Definition of spoof in English:
- In fact, the film pretty neatly sums up why the genre died in the first place - too many films with bad improv comics starring in dismal spoofs of things that have pretty much been spoofed to death.
- The creators of cult the TV hit make their bid for big screen super-stardom with a comic spoof of George Romero's zombie movies, with surprisingly hilarious results.
- All the laborious editing serves slight purpose, and presents the wearying phenomenon of a spoof of a schlock genre that is virtually a parody of itself.
verb[with object] Back to top
- If you remember the '80s teen classics and want a movie that spoofs them well, look elsewhere.
- It's obvious the writers have fun with spoofing the superhero genre.
- Various character traits and catchphrases are spoofed, and to get the humor in these moments, a viewer will need to know where they came from.
late 19th century: coined by Arthur Roberts (1852–1933), English comedian.
An example of a word made up by a specific person, the English comedian Arthur Roberts ( 1852–1933). He invented a card game involving bluff, which he called Spoof. The word subsequently came to be applied to a hoax or swindle, and to a parody.
- Example sentences
- This government are a bunch of shysters and spoofers.
- That places radio and television broadcasters and cable TV companies at risk of being fooled by spoofers with a little technical know-how and some off-the-shelf electronic components.
- Then, if you want, you can sue spoofers for trademark infringement.
- Example sentences
- It vandalises a gutsy satirical classic, in this case with a mixture of misjudged condescension, smirking spoofery and culpable failure of nerve.
- It has itself become a self-conscious genre inviting spoofery.
- The faux thriller spoofery goes silly-side-up and Steve's boisterous young assistant isn't given enough to do, but this is a small price to pay for the genius that is Brooks.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.