Definition of spotted hyena in English:
A southern African hyena that has a grayish-yellow to reddish coat with irregular dark spots, and a loud laughing call. Also called laughing hyena.
- Crocuta crocuta, family Hyaenidae
- Like societies of many other gregarious mammals, social groups of spotted hyenas are structured by linear dominance hierarchies.
- They can eat up to 40% of their body weight in a sitting, which is only equalled by the spotted hyena in South Africa.
- Back at the campsite, spotted hyenas and dassies can be seen at dusk and into the night.
Definition of spotted hyena in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.