Definition of springtail in English:
A minute primitive wingless insect that has a springlike organ under the abdomen that enables it to leap when disturbed. Springtails are abundant in the soil and leaf litter.
- Order Collembola: many families
- Various crane flies, spiders, springtails and other species have life cycles of 3 to 5 years.
- The GM portions of the beet fields also had fewer butterflies, but more springtails, which are small arthropods that feed on dead plants.
- Using high-speed digital cameras up to frame rates of 5,000 frames per second, the team was able to film, in extreme detail, tiny springtails jumping, showing exactly how different species jump and right themselves when they land.
Words that rhyme with springtailringtail
Definition of springtail in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia