Definition of sprint in English:
Run at full speed over a short distance: I saw Charlie sprinting through the traffic toward me
More example sentences
- Ana's mother sprinted out back to find her daughter standing with her hands over her face sobbing.
- Luckily, however, a walker, who was following the same route as the couple, sprinted to the rescue.
- Just than a passing youth snatched the woman's handbag and sprinted off, throwing it to another boy on a bike.
nounBack to top
1An act or short spell of running at full speed.
- During the last 10 seconds of your 60-second recovery jog, crank up the speed for your next sprint.
- Tal forgot where he was and ignored the stubborn pain in his leg, running at a full sprint.
- I've also been joining the Road Runners for weekly runs that vary in length and type, including slow jogs, hills, sprints and speed running.
1.1A short, fast race in which the competitors run a distance of 400 meters or less: the 100 meters sprint
More example sentences
- Radanova was world champion in 2000, when she won the 500-metre sprint.
- I hope to take up athletics and would like to compete in either the 100 metre or 200 metre sprint.
- He was also a Lancashire athletics sprint champion and a more than adequate club cricketer.
1.2A short, fast race or exercise in cycling, swimming, horse racing, etc.
- By winning the final sprint, the Australian champion prevented German Erik Zabel winning a seventh successive green jersey.
- Lenton also remained undefeated in sprint freestyle, winning her 4th gold medal of the tour.
- Teams then lined up on the water for two rounds of 400-metre sprint racing.
Late 18th century (as a dialect term meaning 'a bound or spring'): related to Swedish spritta.
- Example sentences
- He has definitely been one of the most consistent and competitive sprinters ever.
- Distance runners think most sprinters are show ponies anyway, because they prance about a bit.
- I'd like to see myself in the team but I've obviously still to go out and prove I can run really well against the top sprinters.
Words that rhyme with sprintasquint, bint, clint, dint, flint, glint, hint, imprint, lint, mint, misprint, print, quint, skint, splint, squint, stint, tint
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan