1A channel through which metal or plastic is poured into a mold.
- Medical device molding applications and other processes that involve small sprues and runners are among the target markets for the machine.
- After solidification and cooling, the metal is in a white iron state, and gates, sprues, and feeders can be easily removed from the castings by impact.
- Also, when trimming the plates from the sprues, make sure you trim the flash from the bottom of the recessed tab to let the courses sit level.
1.1A piece of metal or plastic that has solidified in a sprue, especially one joining a number of small molded plastic items.
- Analysis of the sprue showed that it was made of exactly the same metal as the coins.
- Only one similar sprue has been found before in Britain, at Duston, Northamptonshire, alongside early 4th century coin moulds and discarded spoil castings.
Early 19th century: of unknown origin.
Words that rhyme with sprueaccrue, adieu, ado, anew, Anjou, aperçu, askew, ballyhoo, bamboo, bedew, bestrew, billet-doux, blew, blue, boo, boohoo, brew, buckaroo, canoe, chew, clew, clou, clue, cock-a-doodle-doo, cockatoo, construe, coo, Corfu, coup, crew, Crewe, cru, cue, déjà vu, derring-do, dew, didgeridoo, do, drew, due, endue, ensue, eschew, feu, few, flew, flu, flue, foreknew, glue, gnu, goo, grew, halloo, hereto, hew, Hindu, hitherto, how-do-you-do, hue, Hugh, hullabaloo, imbrue, imbue, jackaroo, Jew, kangaroo, Karroo, Kathmandu, kazoo, Kiangsu, knew, Kru, K2, kung fu, Lahu, Lanzhou, Lao-tzu, lasso, lieu, loo, Lou, Manchu, mangetout, mew, misconstrue, miscue, moo, moue, mu, nardoo, new, non-U, nu, ooh, outdo, outflew, outgrew, peekaboo, Peru, pew, plew, Poitou, pooh, pooh-pooh, potoroo, pursue, queue, revue, roo, roux, rue, Selous, set-to, shampoo, shih-tzu, shoe, shoo, shrew, Sioux, skean dhu, skew, skidoo, slew, smew, snafu, sou, spew, stew, strew, subdue, sue, switcheroo, taboo, tattoo, thereto, thew, threw, thro, through, thru, tickety-boo, Timbuktu, tiramisu, to, to-do, too, toodle-oo, true, true-blue, tu-whit tu-whoo, two, vendue, view, vindaloo, virtu, wahoo, wallaroo, Waterloo, well-to-do, whereto, whew, who, withdrew, woo, Wu, yew, you, zoo
1.1 (also tropical sprue) A disease characterized by ulceration of the mouth and chronic enteritis, suffered by visitors to tropical regions from temperate countries.
- Emaciated patients suffering from chronic sprue can also take buttermilk preferably before noon.
- The patient was then started on tetracycline (presumably for empiric treatment of tropical sprue), which he continued for 1 year without symptomatic improvement.
- Next to tropical sprue, it is the most important cause of malabsorption syndrome in India.
1.2 (also nontropical sprue) another term for celiac disease.
- I have non-tropical sprue, and I find it difficult to get enough grain servings in my diet.
- But, for people with gluten intolerance, or celiac sprue, the body perceives gluten as a foreign substance and responds with a full-blown immune response.
- Extensive elimination diets such as those for celiac sprue should be supervised by a gastroenterologist.
Late 19th century: from Dutch spruw 'thrush'; perhaps related to Flemish spruwen 'sprinkle'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.