Definition of spry in English:
adjective (spryer, spryest or sprier, spriest)
(Especially of an old person) active; lively: he continued to look spry and active well into his eighties
More example sentences
- She is so spry, alert, and enthusiastic that it is difficult to imagine you are talking to a woman in her sixties.
- James Henry Clark is pretty spry for a man whose caddie career began in the ‘Roaring Twenties’ and has spanned eight decades.
- A small, spry woman of about sixty, she works as a home care nurse.
mid 18th century: of unknown origin.
- Example sentences
- Moving quite spryly for a woman her age Mrs. Khan strode to the wide shelf at the back of the room and retrieved a neat red notebook.
- Example sentences
- She had been watching birds, which I found to be appropriate, since she had the expressions of a birdwatcher: bookish glasses, and an eternal look of spryness.
- He was small and bent with age yet maintained a spryness that belied his 75 years and the fact that he had been diagnosed with terminal cancer.
- Johnson attributes her spryness and stamina to regular exercise: she walks a lot and works out at the New York Sports Club twice a week.
Words that rhyme with spryally, Altai, apply, assai, awry, ay, aye, Baha'i, belie, bi, Bligh, buy, by, bye, bye-bye, chi, Chiangmai, Ciskei, comply, cry, Cy, Dai, defy, deny, Di, die, do-or-die, dry, Dubai, dye, espy, eye, fie, fly, forbye, fry, Frye, goodbye (US goodby), guy, hereby, hi, hie, high, I, imply, I-spy, July, kai, lie, lye, Mackay, misapply, my, nearby, nigh, Nye, outfly, passer-by, phi, pi, pie, ply, pry, psi, Qinghai, rai, rely, rocaille, rye, scry, serai, shanghai, shy, sigh, sky, Skye, sky-high, sly, spin-dry, spy, sty, Sukhotai, supply, Tai, Thai, thereby, thigh, thy, tie, Transkei, try, tumble-dry, underlie, Versailles, Vi, vie, whereby, why, wry, Wye, xi, Xingtai, Yantai
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia