Definition of squalene in English:
An oily liquid hydrocarbon that occurs in shark liver oil and human sebum, and is a metabolic precursor of sterols.
- A triterpenoid; chemical formula: C30H50
- Sebum is produced in the sebaceous glands and consists of glycerides, wax esters, squalene, and cholesterol.
- Approximately 80% of the cholesterol in your blood is synthesized in your liver from squalene.
- Human sebaceous glands secrete a lipid mixture of mainly triglycerides, wax esters, free fatty acids, and squalene.
Definition of squalene in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.