A reptile of the large order Squamata; a snake, lizard, or worm lizard.
- Visitors can visit the exhibition online to explore the astonishing diversity of squamates.
- Humans and giraffes have seven neck vertebrae, while many squamates have eight.
- I modified behavioral experiments from previous studies of chemoreceptive behavior in squamates.
Relating to or denoting squamates.
- In viviparous squamates, placental transfer of organic and inorganic nutrients is widespread, if not universal.
- Vidal and Hedges collected and analyzed the largest genetic data set ever assembled for the scaly reptiles known as squamates.
- As evidenced by the articles in this volume, a recent increase in interest in the mating systems of poikilothermic vertebrates has focused primarily on fishes, a few amphibians, and squamate reptiles.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of squamate in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.