Definition of square dance in English:
A country dance that starts with four couples facing one another in a square, with the steps and movements shouted out by a caller.
- She looked like she had just stepped out of a square dance, boots and all.
- We wanted to do a square dance too but we couldn't find a caller.
- Once a year, they close the place down and have a square dance in the main street.
verb(square dance) [no object] (often as noun square dancing) Back to top
Participate in a square dance.
- The traditional music of white Australia and ‘bush dancing,’ which has been described as similar to square-dancing without a caller, are also popular.
- It was an upbeat country song, and Zack was trying to teach Tanya how to square dance.
- The only thing the public school system taught me in junior high was how to square dance.
square dancer noun
- Example sentences
- And this June they celebrate their 21st birthday with what promises to be one hell of a party with square dancers coming from all over Australia to help them dance the night away.
- The five described themselves as square dancers.
- There will be actors strolling among the crowds, square dancers, singers, mimes and someone creating balloon animals.
Words that rhyme with square dancenuance • tap-dance
Definition of square dance in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan