Definition of squawfish in English:
noun (plural same or squawfishes)
A large predatory freshwater fish of the minnow family, with a slender body and large mouth, found in western North America.
- Genus Ptychocheilus, family Cyprinidae: several species, in particular the northern squawfish (P. oregonensis)
- With its large mouth and torpedo-shaped body, the Colorado squawfish is an efficient predator on other fishes.
- In my search across the internet, I have yet to come across anyone who fly fishes for squawfish.
- When this and other squawfish spawn in the upper Gunnison River, their young are carried downstream by the current and may spill over the Redlands Diversion Dam.
late 19th century: the word derives from the former importance to American Indians of such fish, as food.
Definition of squawfish in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan