Definition of squirm in English:
1Wriggle or twist the body from side to side, especially as a result of nervousness or discomfort: all my efforts to squirm out of his grasp were useless
More example sentences
- The Wolf girl was grunting and squirming, her body wiggling from side to side.
- Strapped in their car seats, children make nightmarish passengers, wriggling, squirming and whining.
- A technician discovered the dead rodent and believes it had squirmed into the body of the PC to keep warm.
1.1Show or feel embarrassment or shame.
- This was very funny stuff, much of it excruciatingly so - straight out of the theatre of embarrassment - making viewers squirm as well as laugh.
- Let us not delight in making others squirm by humiliating or embarrassing them in public.
- They went quite well, she blushed, and then squirmed as she was asked what ‘quite well’ actually meant.
wince, shudder, feel embarrassed, feel ashamed
noun[in singular] Back to top
late 17th century: symbolic of writhing movement; probably associated with worm.
- Example sentences
- The flick has the substance and comedy to entertain an adult audience, and enough pizzazz and yahoo to keep even the youngest squirmer of the family in his seat.
- Even if you use the safety belt, you should still keep one hand on your little squirmer at all times.
- Buddy was such a squirmer, we put him in pull-ups earlier just because they were easier to get on him.
- Example sentences
- To avoid disturbing the session, I pick him up out of his car seat and walk him up and down the room, he's a bit squirmy but calming down.
- But the ends to which it aspires are neither moderate, nor reasonable, and it gives me a squirmy feeling to contemplate them.
- But several of the groups seem a little squirmy in their new clothes.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan