Definition of squirrelfish in English:
noun (plural same or squirrelfishes)
A chiefly nocturnal large-eyed marine fish that is typically brightly colored and lives around rocks or coral reefs in warm seas.
- Family Holocentridae: several genera and species
- Lobsters, moray eels and squirrelfish seek refuge in the artificial reef made up of PVC pipes.
- We saw crabs, eels, batfish, unicornfish, pufferfish, boxfish, lionfish, squirrelfish, racoonfish, butterflyfish, parrotfish and angelfish, to name just a few.
- Since gas bubbles increase sensitivity to sound, many ray-finned fish (e.g. herrings, elephantfishes and squirrelfishes) have modified gas bladders and swimbladders adjacent to the inner ear.
Definition of squirrelfish in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan