Definition of staff sergeant in English:
1.1A noncommissioned officer in the US Army ranking above sergeant and below sergeant first class.
- They spent two days at the factory in Wales where the house was built, says retired Army staff sergeant Adrian, 57.
- He is retired infantry staff sergeant Donald Pringle, also known as Grandpa.
- During the time I was at the Infantry center we learned to do every squad leader's job, every machine gunner's job and every staff sergeant's job as well, if not better, than our own.
1.2A noncommissioned officer in the US Air Force ranking above sergeant and below technical sergeant.
- This security forces staff sergeant from Elmendrof Air Force Base finds fraternity with Anchorage's brokers, truckers and teachers.
- Now 25 years old, Robert is an Air Force staff sergeant.
- She'd just met with Candace Campbell-Rhodenizer and her husband, Gene, a staff sergeant with the 732nd Air Mobility Squadron, Elmendorf Air Force Base, Alaska.
1.3A noncommissioned officer in the US Marine Corps ranking above sergeant and below gunnery sergeant.
- Thirty-four-year-old Larry D. McClain, a staff sergeant in the U.S. Marine Corps, has been pumping iron for half his life.
- I meet Lisa Evans, a computer programmer and systems analyst at Intergraph who used to be a Marine staff sergeant.
- ‘Our bread and butter is true-kill,’ said Robert Calhoun, a former Marine staff sergeant who's now the paintball manager.
Definition of staff sergeant in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.