Definition of stag beetle in English:
A large dark beetle, the male of which has large branched jaws that resemble a stag’s antlers.
- Family Lucanidae: several species, including the European Lucanus cervus
- It is revealing that they often mix and shuffle elements from various species, combining the antlers of a stag beetle and the feelers of a fly, or a butterfly's proboscis and an ant's thorax, to create fantastic new hybrids.
- Our thanks to the National Museum of Natural History, Smithsonian Institution for making the stag beetle and many other fine images available on their FTP image file.
- Jenny Scholfield, conservation manager for the London Wildlife Trust, said: ‘Distribution of the stag beetle has fallen dramatically, so any area where they have been seen is vital for research.’
Definition of stag beetle in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan