Definition of stag beetle in English:
A large dark beetle, the male of which has large branched jaws that resemble a stag’s antlers.
- Family Lucanidae: several species, including the European Lucanus cervus
- It is revealing that they often mix and shuffle elements from various species, combining the antlers of a stag beetle and the feelers of a fly, or a butterfly's proboscis and an ant's thorax, to create fantastic new hybrids.
- Our thanks to the National Museum of Natural History, Smithsonian Institution for making the stag beetle and many other fine images available on their FTP image file.
- Jenny Scholfield, conservation manager for the London Wildlife Trust, said: ‘Distribution of the stag beetle has fallen dramatically, so any area where they have been seen is vital for research.’
Definition of stag beetle in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.