Definition of staging in English:
1An instance or method of presenting a play or other dramatic performance: one of the better stagings of this Shakesperean classic the quality of staging and design
More example sentences
- The Broadway musical ‘One Touch of Venus’ receives its first full-scale British staging presented by Opera North at the Lowry, Salford Quays.
- Presently playing, for example, is his staging of Austrian dramatist Arthur Schnitzler's ‘Professor Bernhardi’.
- Over on BBC TWO at 12.50 pm, the English National Opera present a remarkable contemporary staging of JS Bach's St John Passion.
1.1An instance of organizing a public event or protest: the fourteenth staging of the championships
More example sentences
- The combination of atrocious weather and poor pre-tournament publicity led to a virtual boycott by the public, while the staging of the event over three courses so far apart was a logistical nightmare.
- The announcement brings to an end months of speculation over the future of next year's Royal meeting, following York's successful staging of the event.
- It had been formed in 1994 by Mr Ball and Mr Nigel Stanton, and its main business was the staging of events for public relations purposes for its clients, mainly in the car industry.
2A stage or set of stages or temporary platforms arranged as a support for performers or between different levels of scaffolding.
- Everything in it, on the level of staging, lighting, cutting and framing, creates that sense and sensation of perfect union, of the oneness of the lovers.
- The film-makers were able to revolve an entire two hour story around two sets, using lighting and staging to make it feel like this is hundred of different rooms.
- I accept the evidence that there was a period of at least ten hours required to prepare the Windsor Arena for the Gaelforce dance production, commencing with the delivery of the flooring and staging.
3 Medicine Diagnosis or classification of the particular stage reached by a progressive disease.
- The reference standard test for diagnosis and staging of endometriosis is laparoscopy or laparotomy with biopsy.
- In staff training, the diagnosis of opportunistic infections and correct staging of disease are strongly emphasised.
- Accurate radiological staging of the disease allows for appropriate clinical decision making and ensures that surgery is limited to those patients who will benefit.
4.1The separation and jettisoning of a stage from the remainder of a rocket when its propellant is spent.
- Less propellant, no staging, and more payload means significantly lower launch costs.
- Since dead weight is dropped continuously, staging reduces the total amount of propellant needed to put people or satellites into orbit.
Words that rhyme with stagingaging, engaging
Definition of staging in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan