Definition of stand up for in English:
1Speak or act in support of: she learned to stand up for herself
More example sentences
- The larger man began pushing the smaller man, who seemed hesitant to stand up for himself.
- He was bullied at first, until he learned to stand up for himself.
- If they personally feel that a decision is unjust and unfair, they must stand up for themselves.
1.1Act as best man for in a wedding.
- After being asked to stand up for your brother or best friend, you may feel you need a best man guide to help you.
- I must confess it was with real surprise that they asked me stand up for them like this.
- Sometimes a man's best friend is a woman, and he wants this woman to stand up for him at his wedding.