Definition of stand up for in English:
1Speak or act in support of: she learned to stand up for herself
More example sentences
- The larger man began pushing the smaller man, who seemed hesitant to stand up for himself.
- He was bullied at first, until he learned to stand up for himself.
- If they personally feel that a decision is unjust and unfair, they must stand up for themselves.
1.1Act as best man for in a wedding.
- After being asked to stand up for your brother or best friend, you may feel you need a best man guide to help you.
- I must confess it was with real surprise that they asked me stand up for them like this.
- Sometimes a man's best friend is a woman, and he wants this woman to stand up for him at his wedding.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia