Definition of standing crop in English:
1A growing crop, especially of a grain.
- Ridges are usually reformed yearly by cultivation of the standing crop in June.
- Before tax was levied on the harvested crop, the land was surveyed and the standing crop was measured.
- Crop circles are areas of standing crops that have been flattened in the shape of a circle, or more complex designs
1.1 Ecology The total biomass of an ecosystem or any of its components at a given time.
- The early downward drift of carbon dioxide levels may be explained as the gradual accumulation of a standing crop of plant biomass in and around fresh waters and tidal regions.
- Importance of grazing as a cause of spatial variation in food abundance is further supported by substantially greater removal of vegetation by geese in areas with lowest standing crops.
- Low water temperatures in early spring also result in lower standing crops of macro-invertebrates in prairie wetlands than after conditions become more moderate.
Definition of standing crop in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan