- A period of prolonged applause during which those in the crowd or audience rise to their feet.More example sentences
- It was the first time I have ever seen a crowd give a standing ovation to an audience member.
- The audience thanked Lorin Maazel and the orchestra with enthusiastic applause, standing ovations, and bravos.
- Muffled sobs were heard before the audience leapt to its feet in a thunderous standing ovation.
More definitions of standing ovationDefinition of standing ovation in:
- The British & World English dictionary