- A vibration of a system in which some particular points remain fixed while others between them vibrate with the maximum amplitude. Compare with traveling wave.More example sentences
- If two counter-propagating lasers were set up to create a standing wave, the resulting electric field gradient would direct particles toward the wave's nodes.
- In effect, they trade the translational kinetic energy of a traveling wave for more displacement energy in a standing wave.
- A dipole force of the standing wave generated by the laser focused the atom beam.
More definitions of standing waveDefinition of standing wave in:
- The British & World English dictionary