Definition of star system in English:
1A large number of stars with a perceptible structure; a galaxy.
- Using our current spacecrafts it would take over 73,000 years to get to the nearest star system, Alpha Centauri.
- At half the speed of light, travel time to Alpha Centauri, the nearest star system, would take nine years.
- Near the geographic center of the galaxy was a binary star system called Theralia.
2The practice of promoting or otherwise favoring individuals who have become famous and popular, in particular in the motion-picture industry.
- He is the main promoter of the star system which evaluates architects entirely by showbiz, shock or just their tendency to be as bloody minded and absurd as possible.
- Our collective obsession with rock stars and the cult of the individual star system is reinforced by the book.
- There you have it: tit and tat, the binary star system of modern political reporting.
Definition of star system in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.