Definition of star system in English:
1A large number of stars with a perceptible structure; a galaxy.
- Using our current spacecrafts it would take over 73,000 years to get to the nearest star system, Alpha Centauri.
- At half the speed of light, travel time to Alpha Centauri, the nearest star system, would take nine years.
- Near the geographic center of the galaxy was a binary star system called Theralia.
2The practice of promoting or otherwise favoring individuals who have become famous and popular, in particular in the motion-picture industry.
- He is the main promoter of the star system which evaluates architects entirely by showbiz, shock or just their tendency to be as bloody minded and absurd as possible.
- Our collective obsession with rock stars and the cult of the individual star system is reinforced by the book.
- There you have it: tit and tat, the binary star system of modern political reporting.
Definition of star system in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan