Definition of starburst in English:
1A pattern of lines or rays radiating from a central object or source of light: [as modifier]: a starburst pattern
More example sentences
- The viewer was greeted by a starburst of white lines radiating from the center of a yellow, rectangular, floor-to-ceiling field.
- Infected kernels may be pink or show a white starburst pattern radiating from the top of the kernel.
- You will begin to see patterns and colours and starbursts.
1.1An explosion producing a starburst effect.
- The starburst sound effect continues to blow the listener out of the room on high volume.
- Above the trenches, starbursts of artillery lit the sky, dissolving into green and red and orange streaks.
- As the voices grow quieter and then fall into silence, somewhere a child lights off a Roman candle, and the resulting starburst reminds those gathered of a prayer answered, a request granted.
1.3A period of intense activity in a galaxy involving the formation of stars.
- Here the star formation rate may be higher, so these galaxies are called starbursts.
- NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory has found new populations of suspected mid-mass black holes in several starburst galaxies, where stars form and explode at an unusually high rate.
- On a grander scale, the new nebula observations could hold clues to star formation in distant galaxies, including so-called starburst galaxies, in which stars are forming like gangbusters.
Definition of starburst in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India