Definition of stargazer in English:
1 informal An astronomer or astrologer.
- The telescopes will be available to the public on the first Friday of every month to give fledgling stargazers an insight into astronomy.
- One of the stargazers was solar astronomer, Professor John Parkinson, from Sheffield Hallam University in England.
- Astronomers, astronauts, and old-fashioned stargazers will be on hand to help them explore the romance of the night sky.
- Dream chaser, stargazer, that's what I am and I've always known I'd come back home when I found my journey's end.
- We would, stargazers predicted 10 years ago, control our computers by speaking to them: ‘Find me everything on daft predictions about speech recognition.’
- My teacher could not have understood it, for he was merely a stargazer and not a man of the art of languages.
2A fish of warm seas that normally lies buried in the sand with only its eyes, which are on top of the head, protruding.
- ● A widely distributed fish that has electric organs (family Uranoscopidae: several genera). ● (sand stargazer) A western Atlantic fish (family Dactyloscopidae: several genera).
- Dactyloscopids derive their common name, sand stargazers, from their eyes, which protrude from the tops of their heads, sometimes on stalks.
- A closely related Mediterranean fish, with similar characteristics and uses, is Uranoscopus scaber, the stargazer, so called because its eyes look upwards even more markedly than those of the weevers.
- Emperor shrimp danced over sea cucumbers' backs and stargazers gazed into the blackness with their sad smiles.
- Example sentences
- Take 43-year-old Linda Ransome - by day she is an IT consultant, but by night she can still be found stargazing.
- We lay on the drive stargazing and saw a shooting star.
- Or spend a more subdued evening stargazing through the telescope in your suite before getting cozy in front of the wood-burning fireplace.
Definition of stargazer in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan