Definition of state secret in English:
1A sensitive issue or piece of information that is kept secret by the government, usually to protect the public.
- Provider of unauthorised access to personal data or a state secret, along with the disclosure of a user password will serve between one to three years' imprisonment.
- Its contents continue to be a heavily guarded state secret.
- Actual death penalty statistics are a closely guarded state secret.
1.1 humorous A piece of information, usually of a trivial or personal nature, that is closely guarded and desired to be kept private: she thought her affair with the boss was a state secret, but we all giggled about it behind her back
More example sentences
- She also owns an iPod, although her playlist is a closely-guarded state secret.
Definition of state secret in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.