Definition of statue in English:
A carved or cast figure of a person or animal, especially one that is life-size or larger.
- The sculptor Antonio Canova used classical statues as the basis for his figures of modern men and women.
- However, it is very brittle and difficult to rework, and therefore not generally used to cast statues.
- The white marble from which Michelangelo carved his statues came from these mountains.
- Example sentences
- Charlotte's sanctuary is described as ‘an ancient rotunda, pillared and statued, niched and roofed, densely overarched,’ a perfect replica of Maggie's mental image.
- Here the image is of a literal place, a location at Fawns: ‘an ancient rotunda, pillared and statued, nicked and roofed’, surrounded by ‘alleys… densely overarched with the climbing rose’.
- Within its statued, frescoed interior, guards call ‘No flash!’
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan