1Loyal and committed in attitude: a staunch supporter of the antinuclear lobby a staunch Catholic
More example sentences
- Although their commitments to Hull meant they were unable to take up an active role with York, Stabler remains a staunch supporter of the Wasps.
- Denmark's government is a staunch supporter of the Bush administration and has committed troops to Iraq and Afghanistan.
- Dr. Haloburdo is described as a dedicated, quiet, staunch supporter of baccalaureate education for nurses.
- Example sentences
- Come on people of Tramore, let us show we can support our team as staunchly as any other area in the county.
- He never forgave the British Labour party, which he had staunchly supported, for failing to confront the 1974 loyalist strike.
- Earlier, the president staunchly defending his choice, embracing her fresh outlook to the high court.
- Example sentences
- A battle is a severe test of the troops' maturity, psychological staunchness, courage and bravery.
- By demonstrating his willpower, staunchness, boldness and cold-blooded approach the commander shows his subordinates how to perform one's duty on the battlefield.
- The US media are lauding the dynamism, authority and staunchness of Britain's leader.
Words that rhyme with staunchgraunch, haunch, launch, paunch, raunch
Variant spelling of stanch1.
- The hospital had been alerted and by the time we got there the doctor was already waiting outside for us and we went straight into the emergency room where they staunched the blood flow.
- After the physio had tried to staunch the flow of blood to the head wound, he called for an ambulance to get Abrazu into hospital.
- She was dangerously close to a coma when the ambulance got there, but they managed to staunch the blood flow enough to move her to the hospital.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan