Definition of stay stitching in English:
Stitching placed along a bias or curved seam to prevent the fabric of a garment from stretching while the garment is being made.
- Even doing the stay stitching can result in wonky edges after the block has been trimmed.
- Carefully mark the waistline with machine stay stitches, using a slightly larger-than-usual stitch length.
- Lately I have been wondering if it is really necessary to use stay stitching around the necks lines.
stay stitch verb
- Example sentences
- All the seams should be stay stitched with tape to prevent pulling and cutting through the skin.
- Normally on a corner like that you stay stitch the edges and then clip into the corner almost to the stitching.
- Bust gusset openings were marked with a tracing wheel and stay stitched before cutting.
Definition of stay stitching in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan