Stitching placed along a bias or curved seam to prevent the fabric of a garment from stretching while the garment is being made.
More example sentences
- Even doing the stay stitching can result in wonky edges after the block has been trimmed.
- Carefully mark the waistline with machine stay stitches, using a slightly larger-than-usual stitch length.
- Lately I have been wondering if it is really necessary to use stay stitching around the necks lines.
- More example sentences
- All the seams should be stay stitched with tape to prevent pulling and cutting through the skin.
- Normally on a corner like that you stay stitch the edges and then clip into the corner almost to the stitching.
- Bust gusset openings were marked with a tracing wheel and stay stitched before cutting.
Definition of stay stitching in:
- The British & World English dictionary