Stitching placed along a bias or curved seam to prevent the fabric of a garment from stretching while the garment is being made.
- Even doing the stay stitching can result in wonky edges after the block has been trimmed.
- Carefully mark the waistline with machine stay stitches, using a slightly larger-than-usual stitch length.
- Lately I have been wondering if it is really necessary to use stay stitching around the necks lines.
stay stitch verb
- Example sentences
- All the seams should be stay stitched with tape to prevent pulling and cutting through the skin.
- Normally on a corner like that you stay stitch the edges and then clip into the corner almost to the stitching.
- Bust gusset openings were marked with a tracing wheel and stay stitched before cutting.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: stay stitch·ing
Definition of stay stitching in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.