- 1A tenacious person or thing, especially a horse able to hold out to the end of a race.More example sentences
- The multiple Champion sire is well known for his stayers and middle-distance horses but he has also helped to produce top class milers such as Refuse To Bend, Barathea and King Of Kings.
- After three muddling performances in maiden races in May, I thought he might just possibly get there in the final furlong of a stayers ' race.
- ‘Mr Dinos is a jolly nice horse, and I've got quite a few decent stayers in my stable,’ Cole said.
- 2A person who lives somewhere temporarily as a visitor or guest.More example sentences
- Life sure is going to change for the stayers when they realise that all the ordinary people in drudgery jobs will have bailed out.
- All but a few stayers were in their swags when a contingent of young people from Oodna arrived, hoping to join a party.
- They're geared up for large groups (something like ten to a room) and long stayers working their way around, but they offer what we're after too for less than 50 a night.
More definitions of stayerDefinition of stayer in:
- The British & World English dictionary