Definition of steam heat in English:
Heat produced by steam, especially by a central heating system in a building or on a train or ship that uses steam.
- ‘The business portion is very well built, several nice four-story brick buildings with elevators, steam heat, etc., and the residences are pretty,’ he wrote.
- Finding information about steam heating systems and professionals experienced in steam heat is very difficult.
- To reduce reliance on foreign energy, municipal incinerators are tapped to produce electricity and cheap steam heat that fuel plant operations and heat public buildings.
verb[with object] (steam-heat) Back to top
Heat (something) by passing hot steam through it, especially at high pressure.
- But I'd trade that feeling in an instant for the longing I feel from here: a constant yearning for those magnificent man-made canyons, where the streets are steam-heated by Con Edison and the subways never sleep.
- Before use the organic soil was steam-heated to kill fungi and weed seeds.
Definition of steam heat in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.