Definition of steam heat in English:
Heat produced by steam, especially by a central heating system in a building or on a train or ship that uses steam.
- ‘The business portion is very well built, several nice four-story brick buildings with elevators, steam heat, etc., and the residences are pretty,’ he wrote.
- Finding information about steam heating systems and professionals experienced in steam heat is very difficult.
- To reduce reliance on foreign energy, municipal incinerators are tapped to produce electricity and cheap steam heat that fuel plant operations and heat public buildings.
verb[with object] (steam-heat) Back to top
Heat (something) by passing hot steam through it, especially at high pressure.
- But I'd trade that feeling in an instant for the longing I feel from here: a constant yearning for those magnificent man-made canyons, where the streets are steam-heated by Con Edison and the subways never sleep.
- Before use the organic soil was steam-heated to kill fungi and weed seeds.
Definition of steam heat in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan