- (Of an aquatic organism) able to tolerate only a narrow range of salinity. Often contrasted with euryhaline.More example sentences
- Considering the three patterns of ontogeny of postembryonic osmoregulation, it is clear that the studied species classed in pattern I (all stages are weak osmoregulators or osmoconformers) are marine stenohaline osmoconformers.
- In one group of species, osmoregulation varies little with developmental stage; the adults of these species, mostly marine and stenohaline, are weak regulators or osmoconformers.
- Periods of decreased river flow enlarge the proportion of the estuary habitat favored by stenohaline organisms preferring highly saline conditions.
1930s: from Greek stenos 'narrow' + halinos 'of salt'.
More definitions of stenohalineDefinition of stenohaline in:
- The British & World English dictionary