Definition of stephanotis in English:
A Madagascan climbing plant that is cultivated for its fragrant waxy white flowers.
- Genus Stephanotis, family Asclepiadaceae
- Lady Tamara carried a bouquet of garden roses in white and pale cream, white jasmine stephanotis and lily of the valley with myrtle leaves.
- Other flowers that work well include stephanotis, tulips and orchids.
- The all-white bouquet was made up of orchids and lilies-of-the-valley from England, stephanotis from Scotland and carnations from Northern Ireland and the Isle of Man, with additional orchids from Wales.
Modern Latin, from Greek, literally 'fit for a wreath', from stephanos 'wreath'.
Definition of stephanotis in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.