- A solid mass of masonry serving as a foundation for a wall or row of columns.More example sentences
- The monument is established on the round stereobate with four steps - the sign of four ends of the world.
- The Ionic Order is quite similar to the Doric; it consists of the three steps, stereobate and stylobate.
- The stereobate sits at the bottom and arches onto the third floor.
mid 19th century: from French stéréobate, via Latin from Greek stereobatēs, from stereos 'solid' + batēs 'base' (from bainein 'to walk').
More definitions of stereobateDefinition of stereobate in:
- The British & World English dictionary