Definition of stereognosis in English:
The mental perception of depth or three-dimensionality by the senses, usually in reference to the ability to perceive the form of solid objects by touch.
- Subtle signs of frontal lobe dysfunction may be demonstrated by testing stereognosis (such as the ability to identify an object placed in the patient's palm).
- Note that graphesthesia, stereognosis, and extinction cannot reliably be tested for unless primary sensation is intact bilaterally.
- This may indicate the possibility that oral stereognosis could enhance both the primary sensorimotor area and also other cerebral cortex regions associated with higher functions.
early 20th century: from Greek stereos 'solid' + gnōsis 'knowledge'.
- Example sentences
- Assessment of stereognostic skills also produced no evidence of impaired tactile integration skill.
- Various epidemiological studies on the oral behavior habits have revealed a sensorial deficiency and a stereognostic incapacity in thumb sucker and tongue pulser children.
- These include apparatus for visual discrimination, auditory, tactile, gustatory, olfactory, thermic, baric, and stereognostic discrimination.
Definition of stereognosis in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia