Definition of sterlet in English:
A small sturgeon of the Danube basin and Caspian Sea area, farmed and commercially fished for its flesh and caviar.
- Acipenser ruthenus, family Acipenseridae
- Looking only a dorsal fin short of the extinct ichthyosaur species, the long snout and distinctive white markings suggest it is actually a sterlet, which is a breed of sturgeon.
- Following last week's shock discovery of a young sterlet in Chapman's Pond, Woodthorpe, another York angler has been in touch with the Evening Press about his own experiences with sturgeon.
- The fish dish served most often was Dviena sterlet in champagne sauce.
Late 16th century: from Russian sterlyadʹ.
Definition of sterlet in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan