- Some of the Irish money was converted into sterling and is believed to have been smuggled back into the country, the sources said.
- In the historiography of post-war Britain, the management of sterling as an international currency is often seen as an example of this dilemma.
- But why are all prices charged in sterling on an Irish airline, even on flights between two eurozone countries?
- He praised the sterling work of the Friends of St. Patrick's for their enormous contributions to the betterment of the life of patients and staff at the hospital.
- A most wonderful lady of sterling qualities, she was deeply religious.
- George was a most remarkable man of sterling qualities, a wonderful example to his family.
Middle English: probably from steorra 'star' + -ling (because some early Norman pennies bore a small star). Until recently one popular theory was that the coin was originally made by Easterling moneyers (from the “eastern” Hansa towns), but the stressed first syllable would not have been dropped.
Words that rhyme with sterlingStirling
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.