- (In an insect) a sclerotized plate forming the sternum of a segment. Compare with tergite.More example sentences
- Over 100 specimens of M. serendipitous exhibit part or all of the dorsal carapace, the abdomen and telson, or the thoracic sternites with some attached pereiopods.
- Dissecting these partially rescued pharate adults from the pupal cases revealed that some adult structures were at least partially formed, including wings, tergites, sternites, thorax, and bristles.
- The sternite of that segment is also modified, being slightly wider and longer than the sternites immediately preceding and following it and with a more strongly recurved anterior margin and larger coxal sockets.
More definitions of sterniteDefinition of sternite in:
- The British & World English dictionary