- A person employed, or a contractor engaged, at a dock to load and unload cargo from ships.More example sentences
- The group represents importers, exporters, stevedores and ship owners throughout Australia and overseas using Geraldton port.
- Although contractual arrangements are normally between stevedores and ship operators/owners for the supply of stevedoring services, stevedoring demand is best measured in terms of cargo volume than numbers of ships serviced.
- Mariners and merchants made money managing the trade, carters and stevedores stowed staples on ships, and coopers created barrels to contain flour bound for the sea.
late 18th century: from Spanish estivador, from estivar 'stow a cargo', from Latin stipare 'pack tight'.
More definitions of stevedoreDefinition of stevedore in:
- The British & World English dictionary